Just like many other tools, chemicals and equipment are a critical concern for casual and professional woodworkers, focusing on getting top-quality deck sealers can become equally challenging for many people out there who want nothing but the best for their wooden surfaces.
The struggle becomes real when it comes to choosing the most suitable deck sealers for pressure-treated wood, and you’re a novice to the trade.
In this article, we’ll be shedding light on all those things you need to know about to choose the best deck sealers for your pressure-treated wooden surfaces.
The primary purpose of a sealer is to provide your wooden structures like tables, fences, furniture, floor, and others, with solid protection against external elements like mold, water damage, UV rays, and other contaminants that rot and degrade your wooden structures.
So, how does one choose the best deck sealer for their pressure-treated wood? Keep reading to find out:
Also, you can check out our previous article on deck stains for pressure-treated wood.
Aspects To Consider While Buying The Best Deck Sealers For Pressure Treated Wood
Here is a rundown of the factors and aspects you need to examine and evaluate before making a purchase decision for a suitable deck sealer for your pressure-treated wooden belongings:
Strength and Durability
Strength and durability are two key concerns for determining the quality and value of a deck sealer, and not all of the options available in the market meet these two criteria to a tee.
So, you better do your research and consider these two aspects thoroughly before making a purchase decision.
Buy the product that will serve your wood for a long time as that will save you a good deal of time, effort, and repair costs.
Scope of Application
To achieve the best outcomes of a deck sealer, be sure to know your wood’s condition and quality inside and out, as sealants give different results on different surfaces.
You may find one product delivering better results on old and worn-out surfaces, while others may work better for newly done wood.
Buy the product by keeping your wood structures in mind.
Resistance and Protection
A core factor that can be a dealbreaker or a winning feature for a deck sealer under consideration is its ability to resist harsh external elements.
As a clear and crisp instruction, we recommend you buy a sealer that offers solid protection against water damage, mold and mildew, and harmful UV rays from the sun.
How do you want to apply the sealers?
Are you skilled enough to go for multiple application methods?
These are some important questions you need to ask yourself before reaching a purchase decision.
Application methods for deck sealer include spraying, using a roller, and applying with a brush.
Some sealers are flexible enough to be applied using a method of your choice, while others may confine to one application method only.
Choose a product according to what application method suits you best.
The factors listed above will serve as a roadmap for you to navigate through the various deck sealer options for pressure-treated wood available to you in the market.
In this article, we’ll share the best products offered in the market from which you can pick and choose.
Top 9 Picks for Deck Sealers For Pressure-Treated Wood
Since dealing with pressure-treated wood can get a bit tricky to deal with and calls for extra consideration and different protocols, here is a list of the nine best sealers experts rave about for their performance on pressure-treated wood decks other surfaces.
Ready Seal 515 5-Gallon Pail Pecan Exterior Wood Stain and Sealer
This wood sealer has exceptional traits and is one of the best wood sealers to use for wood that has undergone pressure treatment, which is why it tops this list.
This seal is a two-in-one product that acts as both a sealant and a stain. It is available in a huge variety of colors in the market, so you get a lot of choices in that regard.
However, our personal favorite is the pecan color.
To apply this formula to your wooden surfaces, you need to clean them first.
Doing so helps remove oil, dust, mildew, dirt, grease, and other debris settled on the surface.
To remove stubborn paints, you may use chemical strippers to make sure your surfaces are fully clean and ready for sealant application.
This formula takes almost 2-3 days to dry. The sealer’s formula gives a dark appearance upon application, but it brightens up within the 14 days after it has dried up.
- If you wish to apply this product with a sprayer, you don’t need to dilute or thin it.
- With this formula, you can do the application process at any temperature you want.
- This formula can be applied by using a roller, sprayer, or brush- whatever suits you best.
- The sealant needs primer and works great without it.
- The formula possesses a unique self-blending property- thanks to that, you don’t need to do a wet application.
- This formula is biodegradable.
- It’s friendly for application in all temperature ranges.
- You don’t need to do any mixing with this product as it is a ready-to-use sealer.
- It does the job of both sealer and stain.
- There are no cons as such. However, individual experiences may vary.
Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Deck Stain
This deck sealer is an all-time favorite and the safest bet if you don’t have a lot of information about other options available in the market.
This sealer from Deck Premium is an ideal formula for pressure-treated wood and will not let you down whatsoever.
The formula delivers a high-quality partially transparent stain and finishes that absorb deep down into the woods and offers advanced protection.
This is another outstanding two-in-one package, offering the job of both an excellent sealant and stain, which works great for pressure-treated wood, including pine and other kinds.
It broadly protects your wooden surfaces from the cruel UV radiation and scorching heat.
When it comes to the consistency of this product, it’s a water-based formula and contains fewer volatile compounds, which makes this stain pretty easy to clean.
This sealer and stain product is ideal for nearly all kinds of softwood like cedar, pressure-treated pine, fir, and redwood.
- It has lower VOCs (<50 g/L)
- It’s a great two-in-one product that acts amazing as both stain and sealant.
- The formula is water-based, due to which it’s effortless to clean.
- It offers superior protection against UV radiation and intense solar heat.
- It’s a highly suitable option for all kinds of softwoods.
- This product is a dual usage of sealant and stain. That means that you will only have to invest in one product instead of two.
- The formula dries flat and delivers a natural-looking appearance to your decks.
- It’s a suitable option for all types of softwood.
- The simple, water-based formula of this sealer makes it highly convenient for use and cleaning.
- The formula carries a less volatile organic compound which makes it more user-friendly.
- It provides a solid defense against harmful UV rays.
- This sealer comes in a variety of four different and exquisite semi-transparent finishes: Natural finish, White Walnut, Cedar, and Dark Walnut.
- There are no cons of this sealer as such. However, skeptics believe that its water-resistance capability is unreliable and not up to the mark.
Minwax 630510444 Water-Based Helmsman Spar Urethane
This water-based sealer from Minwax is among the most demanded and liked sealers for pressure-treated wood.
This sealer gives a smooth and bright finish with added protection.
It prevents the wood from rotting and warping due to weather changes and variations in temperature.
As far as the application is concerned about this sealer by Minwax, it’s easier to apply it using a spray than a roller or brush.
The spray doesn’t promise perfection or control, but it makes the process quicker and much more convenient to finish.
Furthermore, the consistency of this sealer entails extra thickness that is something like one in between water and hot syrup.
That makes the application process more convenient and hassle-free.
- It’s easy to clean. All you need is warm water.
- This formula is ideal for light-colored wood- thanks to its bright finish.
- The sealer dries quickly after the application.
- The sealer provides a high defense against UV radiation.
- It has a short drying time.
- It provides advanced protection and safety against scorching heat and UV light.
- It’s a bit pricey, which may be a dealbreaker for many users.
- Several users have an issue with its yellowish look on wood post-application. If you also mind that yellowish tone, you may not want to buy this sealer.
Thompson’s Water Seal 041851-16 Transparent Stain, Cedar
This water seal from Thompson is another outstanding sealer for pressure-treated wood.
This stain is the product of a high-level polymer that resists fading and offers a natural cedar stain.
Its unique features include UV rays’ protection with unmatched lifetime performance.
The formula of this product is one of those few that you can use on damp wood.
Its application requires that you first wipe the wood clean to make it ready to take up the sealer.
It is highly recommended that you test your wooden surface with water before you apply this sealer.
If the water absorbs, it means that this product will suit your wood, and you can go on the application process.
And, if the water starts beading, then this means that your wood is not the best candidate for this sealer.
As for the coats, one coat of this product will suffice and do a good job.
Then comes the drying time, which depends on weather conditions and the dampness of the wood.
- It goes on to newly cleaned dry or damp wood.
- It offers strong protection against water damage.
- The sealer offers protection against mildew and harmful UV rays.
- The formula offers high resistance to color fading- thanks to the advanced polymers present in it.
- The sealer offers strong UV protection.
- It works exceptionally well on both dry and wet wooden surfaces.
- A single coat of this sealer is enough to do the job.
- It’s a highly water-resistant formula.
- Several users have complained that the product gets thick when you use it with a pump sprayer.
Ready Seal 505 5-Gallon Pail Light Oak Exterior Wood Stain and Sealer
These 505 formulae from Ready Seal are a variant belonging to the two-in-one family of 515 sealants and stains.
This product is amongst the best sealers for pressurized wood.
It comes in a variety of different colors. However, our favorite pick is the light oak.
This formula comes in a can with a volume of 5-gallons, and the product is ready to use straight out of the shop.
As far as the application is concerned, like in all other sealers, you need to clean the wooden surfaces before the sealer goes on them so that all kinds of contaminants like dust, grease, oil, mildews, molds, dirt, and other debris are removed.
You can get rid of dried paints and rigid stains by applying paint strippers and then leave your decks for drying for almost three days.
Point to be carefully noted: Do whatever is needed to protect the vegetation in your surroundings to void spattering from touching them while you apply the sealers to your decks.
This formula gives a dark finish but brightens up when it dries.
- The product is biodegradable.
- The formula has the ability to blend itself. Hence, it doesn’t need wet application.
- You don’t need to have a particular temperature for its application.
- You also don’t have to thin it out or dilute the formula for spray applications.
- This product won’t leave stains on your hands because it doesn’t have linseed oil in it.
- The sealer is user-friendly and can be applied using a spray, brush, or roller.
- It’s an on-the-go formula that is all ready to be used as soon as you bring it from the store.
- This formula can be applied in any weather and temperature.
- The application is super convenient, and the product won’t leave a tint or stain on your hands.
- This product is incompatible with IPE deck wood.
Thompsons WaterSeal Advanced Natural Wood Protector — Best For Both Waterproofing And UV Resistance
This is one of the most highly demanded seals in the market due to its excellent performance on decks.
When your decks are exposed, for prolonged periods, to intense weather conditions and other external elements of the environment, it results in fungus growth that causes a lot of rotting to your wooden surfaces.
Wood rot grows on your decks at an unimaginably exponential rate and may reduce the life of your deck stain, which may have lasted you for a decade otherwise.
That implies additional expense in new deck installation.
With this sealer from Thompsons, you get a good chance to reseal wooden decks and other wooden surfaces after every few years to prevent your woods from rotting and decomposing.
It’s a waterproof formula and offers high resistance against harmful UV rays, protecting your woods from warping and discoloration under the scorching sun.
This sealer is equally suitable for application on dry wood or dumps and gives them a durable finish and long-term protection.
- This formula offers advanced protection and resistance against water damage. It’s a highly waterproof formula.
- It’s easy to clean with water and soap- thanks to its water-based formula.
- It can be used on fences, decks, and other exteriors.
- This formula helps resist mildew and mold.
- It’s super waterproof.
- It delivers a long-lasting finish.
- It’s suitable for many kinds of woods.
- This formula is not suitable for use in interiors.
Rainguard 1 Gal Homeowner Wet Look High Gloss Masonry & Wood Acrylic Sealer
When it comes to the Rainguard sealer, one component that makes this sealer the best pick for pressurized wood is the Silane-Siloxane waterproof coat.
This component offers advanced protection to your decks against water damage for almost 5 years or maybe more than that.
The composition of this Silane-Siloxane compound is combined with Micro-Lok to ensure a solid mechanical connection between the wood and the chemicals and ensures that the integrity between them remains intact under stormy winds, UV rays, scorching heat, and intense rain.
As far as the coverage is concerned, the formula covers up to 125 to 150 square feet every gallon for vertical application and 150 to2 00 square feet every gallon horizontally.
- The formula contains low VOC and fewer odors.
- The sealer helps resist molds and mildew growth.
- It can be applied during cold weather with a temperature of up to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s an ideal winterizing agent.
- The formula is stain-resistant.
- The cleaning is effortless, and all you need is soap and water.
- This sealer offers highly durable protection.
- It’s convenient to clean.
- The product offers decent protection against UV rays.
- The formula is waterproof.
- Users often complain about this product’s end look, which is a milky white finish upon drying. Some users are fine with that, but others are not. Hence the disadvantage is subjective.
Thompsons Water Seal A21741 1-Gallon Rustic Red Advanced Tinted Wood Protector
Thompsons makes some of the best sealers out there, especially those that can be used on pressure-treated wood.
This product is also a two-in-one package acting as both a sealant and stain and comes in rusty red color.
As for the coverage, this formula offers a generous coverage of over 150 to 400 sq. ft per gallon.
When it comes to the application aspect of the product, please make sure that you apply this product on a clean and dry wooden surface and never apply it without that.
Also, never mix this formula with a thinner, lest the product should mess things up.
Moreover, we highly recommend you shake the can well before use so that the formula mixes up well before the application process.
This formula can be applied very conveniently, and a single coat will suffice to get your desired results.
If you prefer a deeper tone to your wooden surface, you may go on with a second coat.
As for the time to dry, it depends and changes according to the weather conditions at a given time.
- The product offers exceptional durability.
- It’s super waterproof.
- A single coat of this formula will be enough to give you the best protection against water damage.
- This sealer does a tremendous job on fences, exterior wood, decks, and outdoor furniture.
- This is an exceptional waterproofing formula.
- This product is an ideal two-in-one sealant and stain.
- It doesn’t have disadvantages as such. However, you need to go for multiple coats depending on how deep of a color you want.
Waterlox Original Sealer/ Finish — Best Classic Finish
Waterlox has an excellent sealer that delivers even more outstanding results when combined with Waterlox Original High Gloss Finish.
This product is both a stain and sealer that gives a high-quality and the best-looking finish to your pressure-treated decks and delivers a classic touch to them.
As soon as the formula dries, it provides an exquisite medium-sheen with a high-gloss finish.
As time passes, the 70-gloss fades into a 55-gloss look which also looks pretty.
This sealer gives your woods a solid waterproofing barrier that offers strong resistance against downpours, water spills, and other moisture content.
This is one of the most versatile formulas in the market.
It doesn’t hurt pressure-treated wood and does a great job for wood fencing, furniture, and other kinds of wooden surfaces.
You may even use it to seal oily, dense, and various other exotic wood kinds like teak and rosewood.
- It offers a Tung Oil-based finish.
- The sealer offers extensive coverage of about 500 square feet per can.
- Delivers a moderate sheen to the surfaces.
- It’s a waterproof formula.
- Provides resistance against foot traffic.
- It penetrates deep inside the wooden surfaces.
- The formula requires multiple coats to give its best performance.
The Bottom Line
Woodwork is a fun activity and happens to be a satisfying profession for many people out there.
As the craft comes with its set of different rules, products, and equipment reservations, every individual must know what product and tools work best for a given wood type or project.
Similarly, pressure-treated wood holds its own protocols and demands owners to adhere to them, especially when it comes to choosing the best deck sealers.
But don’t you be overwhelmed by that, as the details in this article will suffice for you to make a good decision.